Subject: RE: [Leica] 35/f2 Summicron - Genesis to Judgement Day
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:33:32 -0500

Hi Randy,

I use the first generation (8 element) 35 Summicron as well as the current
generation 50 Summicron.  If I use Tri-X and compare 8x10s of real pictures
between the lenses there is a definite increase in detail resoltuion and
acutance with the new Summicron during wide open shooting.  The difference
is visible even at this relatively small enlargement size. This is most
easily detectable if you look at hair for example. I have never checked for
light falloff or flatness of field between the lenses because frankly I
never see these things in the 35mm pictures I take.

In any event, if I don't have a side by side comparison with the new 50
Summicron, the prints from the 35 Summicron still look pretty good.
However, if you want the best resolution, obviously go with the current
Summciron.

The older 35 chrome Summicron (which I got from Tamarkin for $700 usd) is
much lighter than the current ASPH35 (especially in chrome).  I find that
the infinity catch is a bit of pain to use but I guess I'll get used to it.

Jonathan Lee