Subject: [Leica] OT: Beer
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 07:07:38 -0800

> From: Ruralmopics@aol.com [mailto:Ruralmopics@aol.com]

> Regarding beer: I guess it's OK to call American beer "beer"
> when that's all you're talking about (American beer, that is).
> But when you toss it in with what the rest of the world
> drinks then it really deserves a different name --
> "heavy water" maybe.

The US now has a greater number of small local breweries than any country in
the world, including Germany.  And they make some of the finest beers as
well.  Every time I go to Portland OR I'm amazed by the variety and the
quality I find there- I never expected to find a Hefeweissen *and* a
fully-hopped Pale Ale *and* a dry Porter on tap at a Marriott...  So don't
go dissin' American beer to anyone who has made a thorough study of the
field - it's like badmouthing Zeiss within earshot of Marc ;-)

And I say this as a Canuck who is very proud of some of the beers that are
made here, too.  Creemore Springs lager, the Unibroue beers (all bottled on
the lees), Niagara Falls Eisbock, Big Rock Traditional, Wellington County
Ale, Cask Conditioned Hart Amber - it's fantastic to be able to chase a dram
of Talisker with the likes of these.

ObLeica:  I had a challenge assignment from the camera club last week to
shoot a series of headless portraits. One shot was the hands of my buddy
Owen cradling a mug of Creemore Springs - shot with my M3 and the brand new
90 APO.  The photo turned out as just as well as the beer.  That 90 is one
amazing lens.

Paul Chefurka