Subject: [Leica] Finders
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:24:46 +0000

Marc Small: >>>All that an SLR gives you is a large, clunky, nasty, and
unfocusable body. Very few SLR's, incidentally, have EVER provided a
100% VF.  Most are around 90%<<<

Most _Leica_ SLRs are around 90%, which is one of my longstanding gripes
against them. There are currently only seven 100%-viewfinder SLRs on the
market, the Contax RTS III, the Nikon F4, F5, and F3, the Canon EOS-1n
and EOS-1n RS, and the Minolta Maxxum 9.

The R8 has a 93% finder. Leica has always stated in its literature that
this corresponds to the area not masked by a slide mount. Which of
course seems a bit presumptuous to those of us who shoot black-and-white
and print out to the clear film edge. <s>

You have to watch how they compute the percentage, though--linearly or
by area. The R8 is 97% if calculated linearly on the long dimension, 93%
if calculated by area.

Many of the cheaper cameras that might otherwise be useful to someone
wishing to travel light are ruined by very poor finder coverage--I think
the EOS Rebel manages to show you 87% of what you're going to get on
film, for instance. It's a wonderful system--the camera shows you 87% of
what it'll put on film, and the photofinisher prints 87% of your
negative for you. Where's the problem? Yeeeesh.

- --Mike