Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Not Alone in Cost Cutting
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:34:41 EST

In a message dated 11/15/99 1:10:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cameras@jetlink.net writes:

<< Yesterday I bought a like new, boxed,  50/1.4 AF D Nikkor.

 it came complete with the US warranty,  and a small label on the box and on
the
 lens proclaiming

 "Made In China" >>

Having things made in China isn't a cost-cutting measure, Stephen, it is
purely an unselfish gesture on the part of manufacturers to help
photographers carry their gear more comfortably by utilizing a little-known
law of nature.  You see, gravity has a lesser effect on Chinese-made
equipment than Japanese.  How did I discover this  secret, you ask?  Simple:
I have two Vivitar 283 flash units.  One says "Japan", the other "China".  On
my electronic scale, the latter weighs 300g less than the former.