Subject: [Leica] Re: Is there any doubt that "Something is Wrong"
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 23:28:48 -0800

I hear this ongoing anti-Leica whining as just noise.

I spent the day in the pleasant company of a small band of LUG
subscribers and the west coast Leica representative, thanks to Jim Brick.
We discussed photography, cameras, Leica and all kinds of stuff. The rep
brought a ton of equipment to loan to anyone who wanted to try stuff out.
He conversed with us pleasantly and informatively with respect to what
was going on at Leica US and back in Solms. A heck of a nice guy, very
well informed, and a great asset to have on a photography outing. I came
away feeling very good about Leica, the people whom I'd met who use Leica
products, and their fine representative here in Middle California.

He reported that he was on the LUG until he got fed up with people
telling him, the official Leica representative who deals with the issues
of the dealers and customers every day, day in and day out, that he
didn't know what he was talking about. Why should he waste his time with
losers like that? I don't blame him at all for unsubscribing.

Leica is very aware of the LUG and other Leica lists. I suspect they feel
that the LUG is not representative of the vast majority of Leica owners
and users. At 1000 people, if that many (and the vocal portion of the LUG
is really less than 30 people) the LUG subscriber base represents less a
tenth of one percent of Leica's customers.

I don't take it seriously either.

Godfrey

PS: I spent about an hour playing with an R8 with 50/1.4 and 180/2.8
lenses. As I handed it back, I did it with the resigned statement,
"please take this back before I sell my mother to buy one." A lovely
camera, very nicely thought out and very ergonomic in the hands. I'll
probably own one someday soon... sigh.