Subject: Re: [Leica] Starburst in Summicron 35 asp
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 06:12:01 -0800

kin wrote:

>    I recently purchased a new 35 asp Summicron  and have been taking
>great photos with my M6. However I noticed that each time I  take photos
>with bright lights in them (eg.bulb), I see a star burst effect at  the
>light source. Is this effect normal? Is there something wrong with my
>lens?  I prefer to have light sources as a point of light and if I needed
>the star  effect I can use a filter to create it.   Can other more
>experienced Luggers please  comment?

Hi Kin,

Quite normal when you use small apertures, asph or otherwise. It's the
light breaking off the diaphragm blades (or some other technical term) but
it'll mean the same thing.

Actually knowing this star burst effect can be created without a filter,
one can become rather creative when you'd like the star burst in a frame.
Besides why spend money on a "star burst filter" and then put it front of
an aspherical lens? Virtual heresy.:)

Put the "star burst filter" money to better use, buy more film, take more
pictures and learn how to use your built in star burst effectively.

If you don't like the effect, don't stop down so far and use higher shutter
speeds or much slower film that will allow an exposure with wider apertures.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant