Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Hexar RF...Good News...Bad News
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:36:25 EST

In a message dated 11/11/99 3:34:47 PM, bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< However, if the reason we use Leica M equipment is because we want to shoot

with rangefinders and Leica is the best/only real rangefinder around, and

has magnificent glass...If someone else, say Nikon, comes out with a quiet,

reliable, rangefinder with features beyond those of the M - also with

magnificent glass - does one stick with Leica simply because it is Leica and

HCB used it, or does one say, 'it's sad, but the day of the Leica has come

and gone'? >>

I for one recently purchased a Leica rangefinder and a few lenses for ONE
reason only -- I wanted to try shooting with a rangefinder. I couldn't care
less about "The Leica Mystique." Yes, the lenses are very nice but I hardly
think there is much justification for a Leica 24mm lens to cost three times
what any other 24mm on the planet costs. Please don't cite refuting examples,
I'm just trying to make a point. Yes, there may be a few other 35mm camera
lenses that approach Leica prices but you have to admit they are pretty dang
steep. I bit the bullet and bought three used Leica lenses because they are
the only game in town. And frankly, because Leica is so established and there
are so many used bodies and lenses out there it may take a long time before
new Japanese rangefinders and lenses would convince a bottom feeder like me
to look at anything but used Leica gear.

Still, for a shooter, there really isn't much reason to automatically chose
Leica over a reasonable competent offering from Nikon or Minolta or some
other Japanese company. Assuming (which may be a lot to assume) that Minolta
or Nikon or someone came up with a well-designed, useful interchangeable lens
rangefinder I would certainly look at it.

If for no other reason, I'd look at competitors because of what happened this
morning. I priced LENS CAPS for Leica. A Leica M rear cap (14269) for $30!
You've got to be kidding me. That is absolutely ridiculous. It's not even
that nice of a cap. A front cap (14133) for $40! Who's kidding who? It's just
molded plastic. If Leica can't farm out the manufacture of plastic lens caps
so that they could be sold for less than $40 the company DESERVES to go out
of business . . .

Bob ($40 for a stinking lens cap!?) McEowen