Subject: RE: [Leica] M Campaign
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:07:14 -0500

Eric Welch wrote:

> Leica has always been identified with the profession of photojournalism,
> which I have been a part of for the past 11 years and I take offense at the
> implication of this comment. It is (obviously) my opinion the most
> honorable profession that picks up a camera, and doctors ought to be
> honored to feel such an association.
>
> How about "You can make pictures with the camera that helped stop the
> senseless killings of thousands in a  bad war?"

I will only respond to this "on list" once, as I don't want to engage
in a verbal battle with someone whose work I respect.

Of course you can infer as you choose from my snide remark, but my
point was to mock the implicit tone of the new Leica brochure, not
impugn the good reputation of any photojournalist who may use a Leica
M.  Look, I graduated from the same J school you did, probably
absorbed many of the same lessons, and to this day defend the role and
crucial importance of the working press (even if a lot of what passes
for "journalism" out there reeks to high heaven).  To tell you the
truth, however, I think that your more suavely cast wording is as
ludicrous as mine.

Try this: "You can make pictures this Thanksgiving of your little girl
and her turkey drumstick with the camera that helped stop the
senseless killings of thousands in a  bad war?"

Do you see what I mean?

Obviously many of us take pictures of our kids with our Leicas (well,
I do, but then I like my photos populated, and my son tends to be an
available, if often unwilling, subject when the picture-taking urge
strikes).  Many of us are attracted, as well, by the grand heritage of
the Leica rangefinder cameras.  But where is the connection between
that heritage and pictures of childhood birthday parties and grab
shots of girls on scooters?   No news to anyone here, but an M6 TTL
with a 50 Summicron and an SF-20 flash costs around $3000.  So is
Leica using acclaimed photojournalistic iconography to promote the
most luxurious and expensive all-manual point-and-shoot camera?  God
help us all, but it looks that way to me.

> But as for the idea that Hasselblad, Mamiya and the rest offering student
> discounts, when I was a student in the mid-late-80s that didn't happen. I
> doubt it does today.

Well, I can't speak for TODAY, as in November 10, 1999, but when I was
taking a photo course at Mass. College of Art two years ago these
promotions were everywhere, and my recollection is that Hasselblad,
Bronica, and Mamiya all had special offers with truly attractive
discounts for full-time photo students.  It can be done, because it
has been done.

> And the picture of Che is appropriate, I recently read that in the college
> set he's becoming quite popular again. I think it's inappropriate because
> of who he was, but that's coming from a Yankee bias. Who's next? Pol Pot?

And other than their both being revolutionaries, Che Guevara compares
to Pol Pot in what way?  Or in my youth did I just miss the coverage
of the killing fields of Oriente Province?

Rob Schneider

NO KIDDING