Subject: Re: [Leica] so called "R8 glut"
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:07:01 -0500

Rich wrote:
. . .
If you want to say that these babies don't sell "fast" that can be said of a
lot of Leica gear. Certainly the motor drive situation borders on the absurd,
but I just don't see a warehouse of these sitting somewhere that need to be
"liquidated."
. . .
Perhaps something was said at the LHSA meeting that I missed??? I'm just
wondering where this rumor started and if there was any truth to it.

later,
Rich
	--> Some people on LUG think managing Leica is the same
	as managing a Wal-Mart and have strictly NO relevant
	business experience.
	     It's as if they suddenly thought ALL Leica R8 have NO
	inbred value because a few people cry to high heaven
	because their camera has had some technical problem
	or that bus loads of tourists don't all use Leica R8 gear.
	     A european member eventually had contacts, informed
	or poorly informed, with one "insider" who told him
	5000 Leica R8 "lay" unsold at Solms, as if they were all
	worthless rejects.
	    Another got a cue the Leica R8 enjoyed a rather poor level
	of sales in France last year, fact or not.
	[ Considering the unpredictable appraisal of photo equipment
	in French magazines, that's not surprising. They even managed
	to down rate the Nikon F4s . . . on asking price. Phew ! ]
	   Another had a battery problem and wailed, wailed, wailed.
	   Next thing you hear: what a cheap camera that Leica R8 is,
	it should be dumped at fire sale prices. The Leica red spot
	trademark even would stop some from acquiring one, it seems.

	    Get the idea ?

	    Best regards,

	    Andre Jean Quintal