Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W Self Processing savings and advantages
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 19:16:21 -0800

I develop all my B&W negs and use a film scanner/computer/inkjet printer
to print.

You need a developing tank, changing bag, measuring/mixing/storage
vessels, timer, thermometer and chemistry. Figure about $100 worth of
equipment to begin but you have it for life.

Once there, chemistry is cheap. Average price to process a roll of film
is around sixty cents, compared to a lab's $4 or so.

Printing, with a scanner/computer/inkjet printer, obviously involves a
lot of initial investment (call it computer for $2000, scanner for $1500,
printer for $400) but then the running costs are about $0.80/sheet of top
quality printer paper and $25 per printer ink cartridge. Depending upon
what what you're printing and how much ink gets laid down, a cartridge
can last you 5 sheets or 50 sheets.

Printing in a darkroom has a similar initial outlay and then paper and
chemistry costs. A good used darkroom setup is often findable for around
$150 (cheap enlarger, modest lens, trays and such) but a new, quality
enlarger and a top notch lens can be $1000 or more easily. Accessories
like timers, safelights, exposure evaluation equipment, etc all add up.
Color is a lot more Darkroom printing to B&W 8x10s generally averages out
to around $1.50/sheet or so, once you can reliably make a good print.
Setting up the darkroom costs additional, of course, and you have to have
the place to do it. I don't at present, perhaps someday.

The major advantage to doing your own work is that you can be in much
greater control of your photography and can get the results that satisfy
you, with adequate learning and practice. I'm never happy with the prints
produced by a cheap photofinisher, and almost never happy at all with any
B&W work that I don't do myself.

Godfrey