Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom (was Leica Users digest V13 #16)
From: Don McClure <mcclure1@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:56:46 -0500

>I am interested in learning how to process my own black & white film and I
>was
>hoping some one could tell me about how much it cost per roll (36) to just
>develop
>the film, using standard Kodak developing chemicals and keeping every
>thing to a
>minimum.
>Thanks a lot!
>Mike P

Hello Mike,

I just set up a darkroom in my basement, dividing off a corner with
plastic sheeting. Total cost was under 300 dollars for everything. Much
of the equipment is used. The only major item I bought new was a Gralab
450 timer, which ran about 120 bucks. A friend sold me an old Omega B8
enlarger for $50, and just the other day, somebody (verg) generously
donated a Leitz Ic, complete with easel and Focotar. Lots of people have
these kinds of thing gathering dust in their basements and garages. Other
items, like developing tanks and such I've picked up at flea markets.

The cost of chemicals is negligible. A half gallon of D76 is about $2.50,
for example. A 250 sheet box of Ilford RC 8x10 runs about 80 bucks from
B&H.

Once you are set up, you can develop your own black and white far cheaper
then any lab, and do a better job. And you can adjust your prints to suit
your own taste. The main cost is your time, because printing correctly
takes lots of it!

Kodak has a book about setting up a darkroom that can be found in most
bookstores.

Another option is to take a photography class at your local community
college. Ours has a suberb facility.

Go for it!

Don McClure
(An Impoverished music teacher and cheapskate in Abingdon, MD)