Subject: Re: [Leica] New Japanese M's and new Voigtlander products
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 20:14:57 -0800

Stephen Gandy wrote:

> Over the weekend I was able to visit with several Japanese friends who
> shared new product information.  In the past they have both proved  reliable
<snip>

Thanks Steven this is most interesting and I think bodes well for the RF
"world"

> 7)  Perhaps the most interesting of all  will be how Leica responds to the
> new Japanese M competition.   It reminds me of the late 1950's when Leica,
> Canon, Contax and Nikon were slugging it out in the Rangefinder marketplace.
>
> Stephen Gandy

My "vague" recollection is that Leica was always the one most desired.
The phrase "almost as good as a Leica" was often heard. Granted, times
have changed but Leica has the weight of history on its side. Leica may
need to respond, but need not be 'spooked' by these newbies. Who will
say these companies will be around as long as Leica?

Dennis