Subject: Re: [Leica] Holy Cow, 751 Leica items on e-bay
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 10:28:10 EST

I just recently begun building my Leica system. So far, I've purchased
everything on E-bay. To date I've bought:

user grade M4-p
mint 24mm ASPH w/finder & hood
Exc+ third version 35mm summicron w/hood
compact 90mm Summicron

Total price = $3,350.

As far as I can tell that's quite a bit better than I would have done going
through the well known dealers. My impression of e-bay is that it cuts both
ways. There are some good deals and some really stupid bidding going on as
well. I've sold a couple of guitars and a few other items. Some went as
bargains, some about right and a couple items sold for far beyond my wildest
expectations. In my mind the key to selling is include pictures, craft really
tempting descriptions, start the bidding low but set a reserve price to
protect yourself. When buying, bid on items that don't have a picture (or a
picture that won't load) and have really crummy descriptions. Use private
e-mail on these items to insure you know what you're bidding on. Fortunately,
it seems like Leica is something that offer sells at relative bargain prices
on e-bay. But please don't tell anybody, I've got another body and maybe a
50mm lens to buy yet . . .

Bob (e-bay is OK) McEowen