Subject: [Leica] Compensation? Not today
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 06:39:40 +0000

>>>For the b&w compensating developers, I still like the Nikor tanks and
reels with very consistent and controlled inversions<<<

None of our Contributing Editors can detect a "compensating" effect with
any modern film using any technique, including water bath, in controlled
scientific experiments.

IOW you can get "compensating" techniques to work, but they provide
results that are essentially indistinguishable from non-compensating
techniques in controlled trials--meaning, there may be a slight
difference, but it's within experimental error and you can't tell the
prints apart.

Intermittent agitation does yield a bit more edge effect with some
films, and more dilute developers typically provide better sharpness.
But there is no "compensating" shadow development going on with
thin-emulsion films as far as we can tell. If anyone believes they can
prove that there is, I'd guess there's an article in it if they're
interested. But the proofs need to be ironclad.

- --Mike J. (_PHOTO Techniques_ magazine)