Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Jobo's and other anomalies, NOT
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 16:41:32 -0800

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/4/99 1:18:16 PM Central Standard Time,
> donalphilby@earthlink.net writes:
>
> << The real key, of course, is not Jobo, but one-shot.
>
>  donal
>    >>
> Consistency is the key and Jobo does provide that ingredient.  For the b&w
> compensating developers, I still like the Nikor tanks and reels with very
> consistent and controlled inversions.  It is very enlightening to use the
> sensitometers and densitometers because the results make you be very, very
> careful regarding each step.  Otherwise, the density wanders.  I have found
> density will vary by .07 or so if there is the least glitch in the processing.

Ansel Adams talks about an effect you get from continuous spinning called "torus."
You see it on the edges of your negs. Maybe with the sheetfilm setup this is minimized.
With a Nikor tank with every inversion you give a slight twist and that is the
way to develop black and white rollfilm taught in most good photo schools and
done by the assistants of most photographers if not themselves.
The sky is blue,
the earth is brown.
I could tell you your wife is ugly -
but I'd never dream of putting down your *&^% Jobo's again.
Mark Rabiner :)