Subject: [Leica] Godfrey's kit
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:10:45 +0000

>>>for
the present I'm enjoying the 35/2 and 90/2.8 enormously. They are
exactly
what I was looking for<<<

Superb kit, that. You can do 97% of anything with these two lenses IMHO.

I think the speed choices are fine, too. Photographers in general
overestimate the necessity for speed (film, lens, shutter, etc.), based
on isolated but acute memories of specific instances in which they don't
have enough of it <g>. Really, an f/2.8 lens with a USABLE open-aperture
(certainly true of the Elmarit-M) will frustrate only once in a blue
moon.

We published a lovely photograph taken by Nicholas Hartmann with his
50mm Summicron, shot wide open, in which the only illumination was by
candlelight. It's a very nice shot, sharp and richly detailed. He was
bracing his elbows on a table, but the camera was handheld. Nick has
other examples of equally extreme lighting, too. You have to search
pretty hard for situations that truly require an aperture of f/1.4,
never mind f/1. I'm not saying you can't find them, but, for general
shooting with films of respectable speed, f/2 is quite fast.

- --Mike