Subject: Re: [Leica] Recommendations
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:16:59 EST

In a message dated 11/2/99 9:40:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
michaeljohnston@ameritech.net writes:

<< Hartmann brought his new Voigtlaender (Cosina) Heliar screwmount 75mm
 f/2.5 by the _PHOTO Techniques_ booth at the PhotoToys'R'Us show in NYC
 last weekend for me to see (thanks to Donal for the apt show nickname),
 and it is a lens to fall in love with--just about the same size as the
 latest 50mm Summicron and beautifully finished, and handles just great
 on the M6.

 IOW, decide what you typically want to have on the camera when you're
 doing low light, and get the fast lens at that focal length--either the
 nifty small 35mm APSH or the 75mm Summilux--and then at the other end,
 whichever focal length you typically used for daylight shooting, get the
 smaller, slower lens. >>

Putting aside the issue of comparing the 75 Cosina (though impressions of
seeing one on somebody's camera at a show isn't exactly the kind of criterion
I would use to evaluate it) to the 75 Leica, we can probably be safe in
saying that the 75 Cosina would likely not equal the Leica at f2.8 (wide open
for the Cosina, 2 stops down for the Leica), plus the Leica offers 2 more
stops meaning 2 faster shutter speeds, which is an important consideration
for a medium-telephoto lens to be used handheld.  The one stop of difference
between the 35's is somewhat less significant.  I think that if I were making
this choice and the cost or size of a 75 Summilux was a problem, I would opt
for a late 50 Summicron (and take one step forward toward my subject) rather
than the Cosina 75.  And if a wider angle (such as a 21 or 24) was not in my
future I would seriously consider the merits of a 28 versus a 35.

DT