Subject: [Leica] Recommendations
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 08:32:50 +0000

>>>But, the question is: where to start? I'm thinking of M6, 35 (2
or 1.4) to start. Then maybe a 75/1.4. I'm open to all suggestions,
on-list
or off-list.<<<

Joel,
I'd get one M6 classic and two lenses, a 35mm and a 75mm. Personally, I
wouldn't get fast lenses at both focal lengths--I'd get one fast and one
small. You may think there is no "small" 75mm lens, but Nicholas
Hartmann brought his new Voigtlaender (Cosina) Heliar screwmount 75mm
f/2.5 by the _PHOTO Techniques_ booth at the PhotoToys'R'Us show in NYC
last weekend for me to see (thanks to Donal for the apt show nickname),
and it is a lens to fall in love with--just about the same size as the
latest 50mm Summicron and beautifully finished, and handles just great
on the M6.

IOW, decide what you typically want to have on the camera when you're
doing low light, and get the fast lens at that focal length--either the
nifty small 35mm APSH or the 75mm Summilux--and then at the other end,
whichever focal length you typically used for daylight shooting, get the
smaller, slower lens. The three items together will be starting to get
heavy / bulky, but it's a good all-purpose bare-bones kit.

That's just what I'd do.

- --Mike J., _PHOTO Techniques_ magazine.

P.S. Nice to meet all the LUGgers who stopped by the booth! Thanks for
saying hello-- M.