Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica and a new M?
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:20:23 -0700

Bill,

That's your opinion.  The 20-35D is a good lens, but Nikon only recently
came out with a 17-35 and finally a 28-70D.  Both of which I am told,
especially the 28-70D are soft wide open.
Nikon AF SLRs also focus slower than say Canon, except for the new Silent
wave motors which do increase focusing speed, but make for crummy lenses.
Nikon has lost market share, as has Leica because they don't listen to the
needs of photographers.  They prefer to tell them what they need, so the
photographers go elsewhere. For the record, Nikon was not first to develop a
lens in Japan, nor a camera, and certainly not the first to build an SLR.
They were not first in using lens coating, nor first to incorporate AF
technology in a camera.  Only now have they started to incorporate features
photogs have asked for over the years after losing the majority of the Pro
market.

Thank you for justifying owning and taking your Nikon gear, have a great
trip!

Peter K