Subject: [Leica] Leica and a new M?
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:28:48 -0700

I think that if we removed the emotional issue of a new M, and looked at it
from a business standpoint, redesigning and retooling for an M7 would be
very costly and probably not generate the revenues that Leica camera needs.
If anything they may add some other niceties.
In order to grow Leica they need what the software world calls a "Killer
App"  Something that will set them apart and generate funds. IMHO, I see
only two way to go about this.

1. Develop new AF Leica badged lenses for other SLRS such as Canon, Nikon,
etc.
	This would immediately open a new market and gain revenue for the
company.

2. Develop their own AF SLR, say a Leica R9AF or something like that.
	I know we've talked about Minolta's Maxxum 9 possibly becoming the
R9, and that makes the 	most economical sense.  If they try to develop it on
their own, I would not bet on their 	success.

As to the M.  Eventually, if Konica and others build cameras that can use
Leica M-lenses, it would only make sense for Leica to sell their M-lenses
instead of trying to compete on the camera side. At least this way they
would not go the way of Zeiss-Ikon.

Peter K