Subject: Re: 35,MF,LF was RE: [Leica] FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:29:59 -0700

><Snip>
> My thinking is that it is *EASIER* to get high resolution with larger
> formats, yet possible under proper conditions using 35mm. On the other hand,
> it is easier to deal with 35mm so perhaps the two cancel out.
>
> The reason I would like to do LF would be to make platinum contact prints
> which appear qualitatively different than silver, and have toyed with the
> idea of getting an 8x10 camera, how I would explain that to my wife I
> haven't yet figured out. Until now I've been able to justify the purchase of
> new lenses by explaining that it will enable me to take yet better pictures
> of the kids, but an 8x10! how do you handle that one?
>
> Jonathan Borden

Jonathan it is obvious than using slow films could in many instances be used
instead of larger films.
But the conventional wisdom happens to be a reality. Sometimes you have to go up
a format for certain jobs or projects. For years I shot nothing but Panatomic x,
from 1978 to 1988 and some Kodachrome. Sometimes I needed medium format
Panatomic, boy what a difference! Rolled gold I used to call it. And with my
medium Format Panatomic I would say there was no need for sheet film...till I
tried it.
The results are in richness and detail and I'm sure would be born out with any
accurate testing. But don't be confused:
A large format lens resolves much less than a 35mm lens but when the same sized
prints are compared it blows the little sproketholed critters right out of the water.

On the 8 by 10 camera: you can explain to her it's not going to go out of style.
It's just a simple device which makes the best possible photographs. You could
do a Bender kit or find a great used deal.
But its the lens that is what is really going to set you back. Of course you
could sell your enlarger.
If you think of it some of the most successful photography of kids are done with
the 8x10.
Of course you may not be planning to shoot these kids naked and not planning on
selling the prints for $10,000 each on the serious gallery market. But if those
images weren't viable they wouldn't sell for quite so much.
Sometimes the most obvious piece of equipment for a job is the least obvious.
I'm envious of your plans for platinum prints.
I wonder what someone would pay for an 8x10 palatum print of their kid if you
walk in the door with one? You'd get a blank check I'm sure. Just show your wife
one print and you are even I would think, make a print of her too! You could
creat a sensation in your family! Whose going to not have that print?!
Mark Rabiner