Subject: [Leica] 35mm Summicron(s) & Summilux ASPH
From: Bill Caldwell <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:38:53 -0400

SNIP --

I think there is a lot of hype about the 35 summilux asph.  People who
have paid the big bucks for it are reluctant to admit that it has
actually harsh bokeh and that the lens is one heavy brute.  IMO, its
greatest and perhaps the only advantage is a max aperture of f1.4.  I
think the 35 summicron asph gives a nicer rendition and comparably sharp
pics and yet this fine lens is no match for the non-asph as far as bokeh
is concerned.

Dan K.

SNIP --

Dan K. and Others,

Gee, not my experience at all.  I have several f/2 35mm Summicrons, all
of which are great lenses.  The goggled 35mm Summicron RF (eight
element, lll08, 210g w/out the metal lens hood 12585) is on an M3 DS,
another of the f/2 35mm Summicrons (six element, 11309 -- third version,
170g w/out the metal lens hood 12504) is on a CL as a semi-permanent
fixture. And of course, the f/2 35mm pre-ASPH Summicron-M lenses give
you great images.

But the f/1.4 35mm Summilux ASPH-M (250g in black w/out the plastic lens
hood 12588; 415g in chrome w/out the hood) is pure magic as a lens!  It
(a black f/1.4 ASPH) is almost a permanent resident on my M6.  Yes, the
bokeh may be different (subjective) depending upon the light source, but
displeasing to me (in comparison to the pre-ASPH Summicrons) -- no.

Oh as for weight (from the 1997 Handbook and the 1998 Handbook), the
current f/2 Summicron ASPH-M (13131-32) weighs in at 255g in the black
finish, and 340g in the chrome finish, w/out the plastic lens hood
12526. The current black f/1 50mm Noctilux (11822 w/ built-in hood)
weighs in at a tidy 630g.  IMHO, at 250g in black, it seems a stretch to
call the f/1.4 35mm Summilux ASPH-M "one heavy brute."  Besides at 5g
less the black f/2 Summicron ASPH-M (and 90g less than the chrome f/2
35mm Summicron ASPH-M), the black f/1.4 35mm Summilux ASPH-M seems to be
one light/middle weight shooting lens, with an usable f/1.4 stop that
permits you to hand hold at 1/15.

From experience, the f/1.4 35mm Summilux ASPH-M is the finest Leica lens
I use,and gives me the highest ratio of really great images, time after
time.  Just some "weight facts" from the Leica Handbook; and one
shooter's perceptions/judgment after two years with the 35mm Summilux
ASPH-M.

Best regards,

Bill Caldwell
<sneeker@erols.com>