Subject: RE: [Leica] Screw Opinions!
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:15:51 +0100

JB,
I'm unsure of the technical significance but would imagine (and I've just
checked, so my guess was correct) that it signified the start of coating in
1946. The significance to the response was that Mike Johnston had asked for
one later than 600,000.
Make sure to use a lens hood if you have an early lens, even if you have a
later one you'll get better pictures with a hood.
The ser. no. can be found on the black rim on the front of the lens which
has the aperture control on it. Finely engraved and hard to see. Though
very early Elmars (and they were made from 1925) had no ser. nos. Numbers
were engraved from 1933 onwards.

best regards,
Jem