Subject: Re: [Leica] Mo' Bettah: The 35mm Summicron
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 22:04:43 +0000

Robert G. Stevens wrote:
>Alexy:
>
>I agree with your assesment of the 35mm Summilux ASPH.  I had one for a
>short time and sold it because it did not seem to create the images I like.
> On a trip to New York and times Square, the Summilux images at night
>looked dull in comparison to the Noctilux shots.  As for general F8 and be
>ther shots, I think my currens 35mm Summicron ASPH looks much better with
>more sparkle to the slides.
>
>A web page with some pictures from this trip is linked below.  The night
>pictures taken with the 35mm Summilux were a bit diappointing, even the
>Daylight picture I took of the White House while continuing on to North
>Carolina didn't seem too look as good as I had gotten from Summicrons.
>
>http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/trip.htm

The pics taken with the 35 summilux asph did not seem to inspire.  The ones
with the Noct were a different matter.  The glass is capable of one od the
most beautiful bokeh that I have ever experienced.

I think there is a lot of hype about the 35 summilux asph.  People who have
paid the big bucks for it are reluctant to admit that it has actually harsh
bokeh and that the lens is one heavy brute.  IMO, its greatest and perhaps
the only advantage is a max aperture of f1.4.  I think the 35 summicron
asph gives a nicer rendition and comparably sharp pics and yet this fine
lens is no match for the non-asph as far as bokeh is concerned.

Dan K.

   He who sleeps with a dream for prosperity might wake up in a nightmare.