Subject: Re: Erwin's condition, was [Leica] LHSA Reports
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 02:02:30 EDT

Dear LUGers,

I spent some time with Erwin in the hospital today.  Tom A., Tuulikki,
Alistair and I paid him a visit.  Erwin was in excellent spirits and was
somewhat taken aback that his hospitalization had been already reported on
the LUG.  He is a rather private person and likes to keep personal health
matters to himself.
Erwin became ill right before he was scheduled to speak at the LHSA meeting.
He had just approached me to speak to me about his presentation when he
collapsed.  He received excellent immediate medical attention by several LHSA
members who are physicians.  Within minutes he was rushed to a nearby
hospital.  Per Erwin's wishes I will not go into any details of his condition
now, other than to say that he will be undergoing tests for the next few days
before he can return home.  His prognosis is excellent and he does not appear
to be in any immediate danger, but we all had quite a scare.
After talking about his situation for about 5 minutes, talk soon turned to
Leica optics and lens design.  Then Alistair took out his Model II Leica and
began documenting the scene.  Tom followed suit, Tuulikki dispensed a Softie
to Erwin, and I was compelled to record it all with my 24 ASPH.  Very handy
for the tight quarters we were in!  I thought we would be shooed out by the
nurses at any moment for creating such a disturbance!  Erwin's spirits really
had a boost.
Soon it was time to go.  Erwin promised me he will supply a written copy of
his presentation.  But for now, he must rest and endure the pokes and prods
of the doctors.  He appreciates your concern.  Alistair and I will be
checking on him on a regular basis to ensure his speedy recovery.
That's all the news for now.

Bill Rosauer