Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: ludicrous use of plastics
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 00:31:44 +0800

Marc wrote:
>Don
>
>The short answer is that none of us know, that this information is
>contained only in the engineering documents at Solms, which ARE, after all,
>proprietary, and that the only manner in which any of us can acquire is
>information is for one of us to sacrifice their M6 on the altar of
>Scientific Truth and Artistic Purity.

Sorry, Marc, but I beg to differ. There is another way: a Star Trek
Tricaptor. I bought one of these for a few pounds a while back, and have
found it to be amazingly useful. I am surprised that so few people possess
these.

Anyway, I have analysed my M6 and can give a definitive list of all the
non-metallic parts:

Outer overdrive gland packing shell cover,
Watertight stuffing material in overdrive gland packing,
Lower underbox clinker collector guard,
Primary insulation of main Tesla coils,
Interstellar charge collector in the Wimshurst Declension Engine,
Imitation Naugahide outer cover.

All other parts are metal, some of them heavy, others thrash. The shutter
is woven from prehensile magnesium-linolium alloy wire.

I must say that I was rather disappointed to find that so many crucial
parts were not made of metal, and have not been able to take any good
photographs with the M6 since. (I never took any before, now I know why)

I hope that this clears up this most important point. Could somebody now
enlighten us about the country (or planet) of origin of these parts? We
need to know. I hope that none are made on the lost planet of  Canadus.
That would be the last straw. Oh yes, I forgot to mention: the rewind
spindle coupling dog is made of straw.

Sincerely
Er I K Bunuel