Subject: [Leica] Re: Dealers in the UK
From: "Joseph E. Hayes" <jeh50@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:53:04 -0700

The following was written and replied to...

> > As a person who has to move from one country to
> > another professionally, I would find it unacceptable
> > if a camera manufacturer would limit its (warrantee
> > or paying) service to the country where you bought the
> > equipment.
>
> I've heard that Nikon does this, in order to fight gray market sales.  Not sure
> if it is true or not.

Sorry for the late comment on this matter...but my experience with Leica
regarding warranties is as follows...

I purchased a new 35 Summicron from a camera dealer in NYC...I
subsequently dropped the camera and damaged the focusing ring on the
lens...When I returned to Leica NJ for repair, the camera was covered
under the Passport Warranty, but the lens was not...The explanation
given was that it was grey goods and not sold through Leica North
America or whoever has the selling rights in the USA.

I did get a rather nice price on the 35 that none of the other camera
dealers in NYC could match, so I bit the bullet and paid the servicing
charge to repair the lens...

JEH