Subject: Re: [Leica] re: chrome cleaning
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:30:56 +0300

Simon Pulman-Jones wrote:

> Whatever your attitude to how the gear that you use looks, would
> anybody actually pay more for ugly gear?

Well...... I can actually see myself pay some more for a camera with
lots of brassing and some dents. I love the way that looks, and I don't
have to worry about accidentally scratching the thing, which allows me
to take better pictures. I don't actually bang my gear into things, but
that's exactly my problem: I should. A few years ago I have toyed with
the idea of getting a camera (an R8, to be exact) and paying someone to
have a go at it with sandpaper and whatever it takes. Why pay someone?
Cause I can't force myself to do that. Well, I couldn't even force
myself to have someone else do it, in the end. Jim Marshall's gear is
the sort I'd pay a premium for.

Bernard.