Subject: [Leica] Cropping crutches
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:12:53 +0000

B. D.: >>>Cropping isn't for street shooting. Cropping is for people who
forget to
frame properly, which is to say it's basically a crutch....(and that
doesn't
mean it's not a crutch I don't use once and a while ;-) )

One of my teachers had a very good rule. He said, "I absolutely never
crop...unless I need to." <g>

- --Mike

P.S. The famous Henri-Cartier-Bresson picture of the fat man jumping
across the puddle, with his heel just about to touch the surface of the
water, is a cropped photograph. The blackline on that one is not the
frame edge; it was added artificially.