Subject: [Leica] M6 vs M4
From: "Mike Gil" <pasuno@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:57:49 PDT

Mint M4 vs mint M6 is an impossible and unproductive exercise.  The M4 is a
very old camera that either it has seen alot of use or has seen virtually no
use.  This leads to a entirely different scenario that I make certain
assumptions about but I would imaging most people would find a valid one.

That is that a mint M4 cost alot and looks beautiful but it probably has
gears that have not been used in years shutter blinds that either stick or
out of adjustment and in need of a serious factory trip ... how much does
that cost.  The very heavily used M4 will probably be more smoother and
probably have had regular use and maintenance.  Of course such a camera wont
look that pretty on the outside.

A mint M6 even one that has not been used in several years will still be in
better shape both inside and outside.

So I think the best way to compare which model is best is through this list.
  The various post full of years of experience can shed some light on this
debate.  Some of us have had the pleasure to have used most M models within
a few years of actual production.  The more I read the list the more I find
that some users have had the fourtunate experience in buying a Leica that
such as a M2 that has been used but not abused had maintenance from a loving
prevoius owner and continues to perform as smooth as a New M6.