Subject: RE: [Leica] Nikon Lenses
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:25:53 -0700

Sharpness is a perception often confused with contrast.  Zeiss optical
engineers and others have written much about this.  You can have a superior
resolving image, but with low contrast it will look terrible. Take a lower
resolution image with better contrast and you will have a perceived sharper
image.

BTW, years ago there was a test run between Olympus Zuiko lenses and
Nikkors.  You could not tell the transparencies apart except for one trait.
The Olmypus lenses had a slightly warmer color balance.  I know many of us
have been weaned on Nikon but this does not necessarily mean they are the
Japanese equivalent to Leica.  Quite to the contrary there are lenses from
other manufacturers that are often better resolving than their equivalent
Nikkor and in some cases Leica.
Now I know there will be flames in saying this, but the bottom line in what
I am trying to state is simply that superb optics are not always branded
with a red dot.

Peter K