Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon Lenses
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:07:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/99 9:28:41 PM, leica@home.com writes:

<< I do not think Nikon wide-angle glass, even the new
stuff, is as good as Leica's, though it is close. I find it lagging a
bit in detail and shadow detail, and tends to be just a bit soft
wide-open with the large-aperture wide angle lenses. And though they are
excellent, they don't produce that leica character that I can't put into
words. Generally speaking though you'd have to be pretty critical to
tell a difference. >>

I don't know . . . I've used Nikons for years but after just a few rolls past
my 35mm Summicron and 24mm ASPH I'm absolutely blown away by the Leica
lenses. There is just so much more detail in the shadow areas of black and
white negatives. I've shot T-Max in some low light situations where I really
didn't expect much -- certainly situations where the Nikon would have
produced less than exciting results -- but the Leica lenses really came
through.

Bob (animals aren't the only things that see in the dark) McEowen