Subject: Re: [Leica] By the light of the Leica glow...
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:07:00 +0200

From: Dan Post <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 15:30

> I really like your site.

Thanks!

> ... If you know what you are doing, the M6 or even
> the MR on my old M3 will give good results!

Agreed.  The problem is that I didn't know what I was doing when I got the
M6--or, more specifically, I had no applied the theory to practice in many
years.  After getting a number of substandard rolls, I finally got the hang of
it, and my stuff seems to be properly exposed now.  I do need the meter,
though--I'm just not good at guessing exposure without any kind of meter reading
at all, except if I can get the Sunny 16 rule to work.

> When I was in the photolab, I was constantly amazed at the
> number of rolls that I processed which were taken with 'state
> of the art' SLRs with multi segmented, 256 square matrix,
> artificial intelligence control metering systems with
> computers and fuzzy logic, eye following focus, and whiz-bang
> motor drives-and the damn things were PITIFULLY exposed!

I dunno.  I went from an FG with its simple metering (which I recently
discovered is off by two stops--no wonder I've had so many bad rolls throughout
the years with that camera!) to the F5, and the F5 has never let me down.

> On the other hand, there was one lady who loved the Fuji
> Quicksnaps, and 90% of her frames were well enough exposed
> with what amounted to a box camera with a pinhole aperture
> to give some really nice images!

She took most of her shots in sunlight, right?

> One of our best customers had a Nikon F5 with about $20,000
> dollars worth of lenses, but was helpless when he knocked
> his camera off the "PROGRAM" setting, and had to get one
> of the salesmen to reset it for him!

All that money, and he never read the manual?  It's pretty hard to knock the F5
out of program mode by accident.

> Those who depend on their cameras to make all the decisions
> are often cruelly disappointed.

I haven't found all-auto cameras to be any more or less reliable than my M6.  At
least the F5 and the M6 both seem to yield good pictures 99.9% of the time.

  -- Anthony