Subject: [Leica] I finally found the "Perfect" M Flash outfit- For me, anyway
From: Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:48:02 -0500

I have been looking for a good workable flash outfit to use the M6 with for
outside fill-in situations and indoor group work & finally found something
that works great for a decent price. It does require using an M-Grip, which
is somewhat less than economical, but less so than most Leica accessories.
With the M-Grip attached, I attached a Stroboframe quick-release plate to
the camera & attached the base to a Stroboframe Quik-Flip bracket, with the
Vivitar 285 flash unit attached. But instead of using a regular sync cord to
connect flash & camera, you use the Vivitar coiled cord that slides into the
camera shoe on one end. The other end plugs into the slot on the flash unit
where the flash mode selector dial normally goes. You take the dial out of
the flash unit & attached to the part plugged into the camera shoe. That
takes the flash off the camera & since you don't use the sync pole on the
M6, you don't have to worry about it getting in the way when you look
through the viewfinder. This setup, less the price of the M-Grip, is barely
$200, less than the price of the Leica designed flash for the TTL model M6.

You grip the bracket at the bottom left corner as you use the outfit & focus
with your left index finger, which falls perfectly onto the focus ring or
tab on the underside, depending on lens selection. Your right hand balances
the outfit by grasping the handle of the MGrip. With the sensor located on
the camera shoe instead of the flash unit, it senses an area much more in
line with what the lens sees. I'm sure the system is not as accurate as TTL
metering, but in most cases I would guess it is a very practical alternative
& there's no doubt the Vivitar unit packs a much better light "Punch" than
the Leica unit.

Greg