Subject: [Leica] Mechanical RF dead-end?
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:47:43 -0700

Well, it sure isn't a dead-end from my perspective.  One of the things I
like most about the optical RF is that it gives you a visual confirmation of
what you're focussed on.  I've had so many focus misses with P&S cameras
that I've almost given up on them.

Imagine shooting a handheld semi-closeup of a small flower growing on a
long, thin stalk.  It's about a foot in front of a highly detailed woodland
floor.  How do you know your electronic RF has locked onto the flower?  how
about one particular flower out of a cluster of flowers? The only solution
to this problem AFAIK is either an SLR (AF or MF) or an optical RF.  This
exact scenario happened to me with a Yashica T4, and made me vow never again
to walk around without a "real" camera.

Opto-mechanical RFs may be complicated, delicate little beauties, but I'd
rather see with my own eyes (somehow) what the lens is focussed on.  Does
anyone have an idea how this capability could be incorporated into an
electronic RF Leica?

Paul Chefurka