Subject: [Leica] Reply to Alastair
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:20:53 +1000

XXXXXXXXXX
And what is your ancestry, if I may ask?
XXXXXXXXXX

G'day Mike,

If you cannot guess then you are not the journalist I presume you to be. I
cannot spell presbyterian as I cannot spell most words, ancestry included
:-( but that is the beauty of the language Ancestor/Ancestry - Oh well.

As for the reply, I'm not or rarely ever offended, but as I've mentioned,
the way ahead for Leica is for it to bend its enormous experience in camera
handling towards the next generation of rangefinders and other cameras. The
M6 really is the pinnacle of mechanical camera development, and tinkering
around the edges may prove more hurtful than maintaining standards. I for
one think that even the modest increase in size for the TTL is a backward
step, though I would like a HM when using the Noctilux, and the classic
versions seem to be attracting collector status already. Snobbery is not
confined to Leica. We cannot blame the camera for the cult it attracts,
only use it in our own ways for our own purposes. I do not deny that I love
the feel of the cameras [as you obviously do as well], and this doubtless
makes me a bit of a snob, but I also love to create images. If only I was
as good with the creative bit as I am on the fondling.

cheers

Alastair Firkin