Subject: [Leica] RE:
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:49:35 -0400

Jeremy

Well put. One of the problems with the current RF market is indeed the lack
of inexpensive, yet reasonably high quality, cameras. I got my start using a
Canon FTb with a 50/1.8 lens which cost ~$175 new. It was simple, solid,
fully manual, fully mechanical and ergonomic. And it focussed using a split
screen. This early experience has kept a soft spot in my heart for such
cameras and in fact when this camera got 'replaced' in the late 1980s with
an EOS (after being stolen), the feel of plastic and a cheap zoom was never
the same. Now that I finally can afford an M6 and a few lenses, this is what
I use for about 85% of my photos.

The problem with the overall market is that there is a general lack of entry
level RF cameras. IMHO Leica desperately needs something that can serve as
an entry level body and lens set and that people can then 'move up' into an
M6 and fast glass.

The new group of Japanese RF cameras generate interest and make the market
stronger. Leica has as good as a brand name as one can get, what it needs is
a way to expand the market, so it can sell its latest generation of asph
lenses.

Jonathan Borden