Subject: Re: [Leica] Devils advocate
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:55:44 +0200

From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 1999 13:15
Subject: [Leica] Devils advocate

> Perhaps I am atypical but:
>
> I have no need for:
> motor drive
> flash sync (at any speed!)
> differing load system - I would consider an opening back a retrogade step
> personally.
>
> I am indifferent about:
> auto exposure, of any type.
> Higher shutter speeds. Here in the UK using a maximum of 100 ASA I don't
> need 1000th never mind faster.
> Autofocus.
>
> I appreciate;
> The quality of photographic results.
> The feel of the controls.
> The low weight of my outfit.
> The low "running costs"

I agree!  These are the reasons why I bought the Leica.  If I wanted all the
bells and whistles, I'd just take out my F5, which already has them all.  I
still use the F5 when I need AE, motor drive, flash, fast loading, etc., but I
use the Leica when I need discretion, compactness, simplicity, and so on.

> They use autofocus in the pits for "snapshots", manual for
> on circuit work. The reason for this is the fear that during
> an unrepeatable incident, whilst rapidly panning to the
> location of the unexpected, the subject will drop out of the
> sensor region and take too long to hunt back.

I've heard it said that the F5 has changed this, since its autofocus is fast
enough to deal with just about any changes.

  -- Anthony