Subject: [Leica] Devils advocate
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 07:15:35 -0400

Mike Johnstone clearly feels the M6 loading system is in some way inferior
to an open back system. I do not agree. I find it fast and foolproof, but
different. OTOH I am used to it! I own an EOS 1n and get more misloads with
it than my M6. but I use the M6 80% of the time.
Perhaps I am atypical but:

I have no need for:
motor drive
flash sync (at any speed!)
differing load system - I would consider an opening back a retrogade step
personally.

I am indifferent about:
auto exposure, of any type.
Higher shutter speeds. Here in the UK using a maximum of 100 ASA I don't
need 1000th never mind faster.
Autofocus.

I appreciate;
The quality of photographic results.
The feel of the controls.
The low weight of my outfit.
The low "running costs"

This last needs some qualification. Firstly Japanese kit is much cheaper in
the USA than the UK though Leica is only a little more. USA luggers view of
the cost of Leica is naturally coloured by this, as mine is by UK
differentials. A Canon 50 f1 lens is dearer here than a Noctilux (or was
last time I looked). "L" Canon lenses are not much cheaper than Leica but
are big, heavy, plasticy and feel awful in comparison. Their second hand
value is derisory. OTOH most of my Leica stuff was bought second hand and
worth today more or less what I paid for it (because lenses are not
obsoleted every few years). This is great for me (us) if not so great for
Leica sales.

FWIW I worked for 22 years in F1 motor racing. I know all the top pro
photographers. They use autofocus in the pits for "snapshots", manual for
on circuit work. The reason for this is the fear that during an
unrepeatable incident, whilst rapidly panning to the location of the
unexpected, the subject will drop out of the sensor region and take too
long to hunt back. Perhaps this is no longer the case with the EOS3 but it
was with the EOS1.

I bought my EOS1 because my friends used it. I would not say I regret it
but I do not often use it (for my type of photography).
cheers Frank