Subject: Re: [Leica] Erwin Puts' test for film speed
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 12:01:43 -0700

Erwin Puts wrote:
><Snip>  But when
> pushing you loose a bit. To lower the exposure to get the shadows
> back and at the same time deciding to push the film will cancel out.
> If you need shadows you cannot push (or you should overexpose
> consciously when taking the picture, being aware of what you are
> doing) and if you need pushing you lose some deep shadows.
>
> Erwin

This is what some of us have been saying Eriwn and we are glad you've given it a
real test!
To give something a "push" I've always found an offensive term because it's like
saying good by to the shadows where the real speed of the film is determined in
use...not the highest technique.
In the black and white realm an increase in real (shadow) film speed by the use
of water baths, borax baths, higher dilutions of developer or just better
developer more suited to bringing out film speed (like T Max developer) is a
real solution to people wanting more film speed than the number on the box. This
is called "compensation" in stead of "push," more diplomatic language. I've even
heard of people using such compensating techniques with color film.
Mark Rabiner