Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V12 #71
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 13:20:11 +0200

From: Jim Licquia <licquia@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 1999 12:22
Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V12 #71

> Anthony, you are simply wrong on this one too.

In what way?  Trinitron is indeed a trademark of Sony Corporation.  That doesn't
necessarily mean that it will never be used by anyone else; it just means that
Sony holds the rights to use of the trademark.  After all, many laser printers
advertise support for Adobe PostScript, but PostScript is an Adobe trademark
(licensed by Adobe to the printer manufacturers).

> There are a number of companies here in the US other
> than Sony who are marketing monitors clearly labeled "Trinitron".

Then either Sony has licensed the use of that trademark to them, or they are
using it without permission but Sony chooses not to object (which can cause them
to lose trademark status for the word, eventually).  I consider the former much
more probable than the latter.

It's also possible that they have built or licensed the Trinitron technology for
the picture tube for that vendor and that part of the license or subcontracting
included permission to use the Trinitron trademark.

  -- Anthony