Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Modification
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:36:29 +0200

From: <TEAShea@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 15:29

> I know that one company was working on a system for replacing
> the back of a camera with a digital back.  Any news or
> prospects on this?

At least one company has _claimed_ to be working on a digital back, but it has
been several years now, and no working model has yet been demonstrated.  Most
people seem to consider it a hoax.

Interchangeable digital backs would require standardization of connections to
the camera body similar to what is now done with film in terms of standard film
cartridges and DX encoding.  Thus far, nobody has shown any signs of
standardizing anything in the digital world.

> I would be willing to pay a good chunk of money for a
> digital back for my Leica, Contax or Canon cameras.

I feel the same way.  However, it's going to be a long, long time before we see
anything like that, if we ever do.

  -- Anthony