Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanner DMax was: Nikon 4000 dpi scanner?
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:26:59 -0700

At 6:10 PM -0400 10/14/99, Aaron Ruby wrote:
>Pascal wrote:
>
>> On 14-10-1999 23:25 Robert G. Stevens wrote:
>>
>> > The scanners with a DMAX of 3 or so will not scan slides and give
>> >sufficient shadow detail, particularily slightly dark slides.  At 3,5 or
>> >more, the Nikon is better than the 3.4 of the Polaroid.  Nikon scanner
>> >owners always quote the ice feature, but they should be quoting the high
>> >Dmax of the LS2000.
>>
>> You're right, Robert.
>> The Dmax of the LS-2000 is even 3.6 !
>>

>This raises an intersting question that I've never been able to get
>answered. Maybe one of you more knowledgable people can help. From what I
>understand, there is no standard method for measuring the actual Dmax of a
>given film scanner. Each manufacturer has their own and therefore
>manufacturer claims are very hard to compare across brands. Is this true?
>How accurate are the manufacturer data? I'll take your word for it that the
>LS-2000 has better shadow rendition, but is that because of its ability to
>rescan up to 16X or its greater Dmax? I wanted to get the 2000, but I found
>a refurbished Sprintscan 35+ on ebay for around $800 and it FAR exceeds the
>quality of the LS-30 I returned due to excessive noise and poor shadow
>quality.

The Sprintscan 35+ has better Dmax and dynamic range capability than the
LS-30, but the LS-2000 is substantially better than both.

With respect to actual Dmax, see my previous post, or get on the scanning
mailing list at scan@leben.com.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com