Subject: [Leica] Re the Konica RF-M
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:37:55 EDT

Dear Colleagues,

It's unfair of me to pass judgments about the Konica RF-M before I take a
good look at it. What I can legitimately infer is that it's battery-driven
while the Leica M's are not. Frankly, I find a well-made battery-run camera
to be reliable, particularly if you have a backup with you in the form of
another camera or a set of fresh batteries.

My experience with automatic shutters has been that only a full-exposure info
viewfinder display -- such as in the Nikon FM -- alerts you to interpretive
variations. The FM is fully mechanical. I believe the Nikon F5 also has a
full viewfinder readout.

The bottom line on the Konica RF-M is the test of ruggedness and lens
quality. Only use and time will come up with those facts. I know how my Leica
M3 rates in that department with original Leitz lenses.

Despite my reservations about Konica, I have an open mind. The Konica'a
manual focusing could present Leica Solms with a competitive problem.
Heretofore the optical rangefinder was an exclusive Leica feature. I love it.

Best,
BR