Subject: [Leica] Hexar RF
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:23:10 +0200

The rangefinder accuracy (baselength 69,2 and viewfinder of .6) is
good enough for a 2/50mm lens. The required baselength would be 21
mm, assuming and this is the snag, that the rangefinder patch allows
for vernier acuity measurement. Now first reports tell me that the
rangefinder patch in the finder is difficult to see. If that is
true, and adding  the 0.6 magnification, the accuracy might be well
below what we expect from Leica bodies.
I did take a long look at the MTF graphs, (which happily are analogue
and not digital). I assume that the graphs are taken from the full
aperture setting, and the character of the graphs do indicate this.
Then we can expect an image quality well below the equivalent Leica
lenses. Contrast will be much lower and I assume this is done
intentionally. One to  get the bokeh characteristics Japanese users
want and secondly a lower contrast helps cover up focusing errors.
A  check on the Zeiss graphs for the Contax lenses indicate a
performance slightly above the Hexanon-M.
Based on this info I would expect that the Hexar RF, while having a
body that resembles the M, targets the  photographer  who wishes to
exercise his photographic craft in a less demanding environment. The
rrangefinder accuracy would be overstressed when using the 1.4/75 and
while providing this frame, Konica must be thinking that users will
buy the Cosina version or will introduce a low aperture version
themselves.
The Konica is certainly interesting, but I cannot see this camera be
the base of any new M. It is even debatable if the .6 finder can
assist spectacle wearers to function as a high eyepoint finder as
there is more to this than just a small magnification. Remember the
CL.
We have to wait and test this one, but for now I would assume its
real competitor is the to be announced Voigtlander RF body.
I think both Cosina and Konica look at the thriving second hand
market for Leica products and try to persuade users who want a second
hand older Leica to buy a Leicalike camera with more convenience and
better price.

Erwin