Subject: Re: [Leica] CCDs - one more thing
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:19:07 -0700

Byron Rakitzis wrote:
><Snip>
> For me anyway, 24x36 looks like a strange aspect ratio the more I use it
> and compare it against square negatives and the print ratios 4x5 and 8x10.
>
> Who knows, maybe it would be better to burn circular pictures onto 43x43
> square frames, and then crop in the darkroom to whatever aspect ratio
> you care to squeeze out of that circle!
>
> Byron.

A golden mean rectangle is 22.24x36!
I think the first Kodak Brownie shot 100 circles which you would send in the
camera and they would send it back to you loaded up and your pictures processed.
A bunch of friends of mine always used to way back put telephoto lens shades on
our 24mm Lenses. Vignetted to a circle. Artsey Fartsey. A circle is the true
"Anti-format." Next comes the Square.
I like the way a 6x9 image fills an 8x10 print. And I also love the way a 7x7
inch square fills and 8x10 print.
That's it for me and numbers I didn't become a photographer because I was a
friggen genius.
Mark Rabiner