Subject: Re: [Leica] digital
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:34:59 -0700

>> Going to our friend the dictionary:
>
>If you need to know how to diagnose, say, heart disease, do you consult the
>dictionary for that as well?

We are looking for the meanings of words: the dictionary is a sensible
place to look as it is a repository of the meanings of words. I might use
a dictionary to determine what "heart disease" means (or what a more
specific word for it, in the jargon of medicine, might be) before going
to a medical text to look up how to determine whether a patient has it.

Even heart surgeons use reference texts to assist in the diagnosis of
illness.

>> The advantage of encoding information as numerical
>> quantities is that you can apply all the rules of numerical
>> manipulation to the information.
>
>You can do exactly the same thing with letters.

Only when the letters are represented by numeric values.

Given the alphabet, Anthony, what is 'A' multiplied by 'H'? What is the
sum of 'G' and 'M'? Answer that without giving a numeric translation.

Digitally encoded information allows mathematical transformations on the
digits and abides by the rules of mathematical proof. If you say that the
alphabetic values 'A' multiplied by 'H' is equal to 'Z' (or anything
else) and that none of them are numeric, I'll ask you to prove it.

Godfrey