Subject: [Leica] Ted's Book Just Arrived
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:44:58 -0700

Fellow Leica Users:

Ted Grant's _This is Our Work:  The Legacy of Sir William Osler_ arrived today
just before lunch.  Now, I have to tell y'all that I don't buy coffee table
books.  For one I don't have a coffee table in the house (save the shins) and
secondly I just don't have room for books to which I don't refer or re-read
every few years.

I should mention that for the past year, I have been taking photography
classes at my local college and have pretty much browsed through their
complete collection of photography and art books.  I have enjoyed some, I have
disliked some, and I don't even understand a few.

But Ted's work is the first one that I have wanted to emulate (not in subject
matter necessarily but in approach and quality and cohesiveness).  My
expectation of the book were not met.  I thought it would be a fine book to
add to the very few that I keep and look at occasionally.  But after going
through it, I realize that this book was going to be placed outside of the
darkroom and next to the light table and print area.  Every time I process a
photograph, I am going to compare my print with Ted's and ask myself what I
can do to make mine more like Ted's.

So in just a few years, Ted's book is going to be dog-eared and fingerprinted
and not in pristine collector's condition.

With apologies to Ted,

Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net

p.s. Ted - The check is in the mail ;-)