Subject: [Leica] Future and filmless cameras
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:19:11 -0700

Yes Anthony.  The new Mega-Vision S3 uses a 24mm x 36mm CCD array.
Excellent resolution.  Images as large as 30x40 look grainless.
There are drawbacks though.  You need a medium format camera since the S3 is
a digital back.
And the focal lengths are doubled, so a 40mm Hassy lens becomes a 80mm.
If you compared the output and enlargement of an S3 Hi-Res file to say 20x24
with the same image taken on 35mm film and enlarged to the same proportions,
the S3 image would look best.

Technology will keep improving and I am sure film will too!  But the future
is filmless.
Just as the road are now horseless, and most people play CDs instead of LPs.
Stuff chahnges.

Peter K