Subject: RE: [Leica] POOR DR. Blacktape: was re: Leica camera rumours
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:36:37 -0000

> Better luck next time, Doctor.
>
> Best,
>
> Aaron
>
> P.S. OKAY, OKAY, I had a little too much spare time on my
> hands. What can I
> say, I can't read Japanese and I was a little bored.

THE DOCTOR RESPONDS - (and should have his head examined for so doing
;-) )...

In the first place, Dr. Blacktape was responding to an apparent PC lover who
commented that it wouldn't make any difference to Apple users if Apple went
under because, after all, if the Dr. may paraphrase Gertrude Stein here, a
computer is a computer is a computer. The Dr. was simply making the point
that if Apple went under a unique product would disappear from the market,
forcing its users to make radical changes in the way they do their
computing.

The Dr. is not suggesting either that Leica should go under, or that he
would not be distressed to see it go under. But...if Leica were to go under,
the Dr. believes that the M is so inherently reliable - and has no need to
be updated - that there is probably a sufficient stock of spare parts around
to keep M users functioning well into the next Millenium. Yes, the lenses
will remain optically superb. And, yes, with or without any nomes in Solms,
M users will continue to use Ms and make outstanding photos with them.

Further, Dr. Blacktape would make the heretical prediction that if there
isn't a major attitude change in the management of Leica a decade from now
there will be no M as we know it today. There may be a modern hybrid, or a
Japanese "rangefinder" with a Leica badge, but the "classic" M will no
longer be an item in the Leica catalogue. At least not unless the user base
grows - which, as some one indirectly suggested earlier, may happen with the
introduction of related - I won't say similar - cameras and lens into the
market that has hither to been entirely dominated by reflexes, and automated
ones at that.

But the Dr. too obviously has too much time, and too little knowledge of
Japanese - actually, the Dr. doesn't have too much time, he just isn't
paying enough attention to his day job - ;-)